Synopsis: Voice encryption tutorial, Skype worm, McAfee's Sage Journal, Zfone, VoIP security news, listener comments and more...
UPDATE - April 24: Unfortunately, due to an error in coding the appropriate enclosure (now fixed) many of you who subscribe via RSS will have downloaded a PDF file instead of the MP3 file. My apologies, and you'll need to unfortunately download the file directly from the website at this point.
Welcome to Blue Box: The VoIP Security Podcast #56, a 38-minute podcast from Dan York and Jonathan Zar covering VoIP security news, comments and opinions.
You may also listen to this podcast right now:
- 00:20 - Intro to the show, contact information and how to provide comments. Welcome to all the new listeners - and to all those listeners who have been here for so long!
- 01:24 - New worm wriggles around on Skype (also on CSO Online ) - See also F-Secure blog and Jan Geirnaert
- 03:06 - Voice of VOIPSA: Ghosts of VoIP Security Tools Past…and Future? (note the comment in reply from the grugq)
- 04:41 - McAfee’s Sage Journal and their Global Threat Review (and the mention of VoIP)
- McAfee news release
- McAfee Sage Journal (PDF)
- InfoWorld: McAfee: Cyber-crime will continue to pay
- CNET/ZDNet: McAfee offers ‘Sage’ advice on security issues
- Tech.co.uk: Cybercrims will ‘find new ways to make money’
- Khaleej Times (UAE): Cybercrime, other security issues will increase=
- also interesting to note that McAfee Avert Labs has a blog
- 08:00 - Information Week: VoIP Too Complicated? Tell That To The Cable Companies
- 11:02 - TechRepublic: PKI vs. Zfone: What’s your best bet for VoIP security?
- 12:07 - SC Magazine: Mobile security: when will it become necessary?
- 13:04 - ComputerWorld Malaysia: All-in-one security devices face hurdles – interesting for the mention of “Unified Threat Management” (UTM) and the growing concern about how to work with VoIP (expressed in final paragraph)
- 17:04 - Security Watch by Steve Gold: VoIP – a flawed technology?
- 19:47 - News releases:
- AGN and Sipera partner to provide secure SIP Trunking
- Mu Security Receives Frost & Sullivan 2007 Product of the Year Award
- Top Layer Networks’ Enterprise-Series Intrusion Prevention Solution Raises the Bar for Protection against Emerging Cyber Threats
- Radware Earns Top Ratings in Extensive Lab Testing of VoIP Traffic Resiliency and Quality
- 22:23 - Feature section on voice encryption
- 31:53 - Upcoming shows:
- May 14-17, Santa Clara, CA, USA Communications Developer Conference
- May 18, Rochester, NY, USA, RIT VoIP Conference
- May 23-25, Paris, France Eurosec Forum 2007 – I am speaking
- June 12-14, Stockholm, Sweden, VON Europe Spring – both Martyn and I will be there… we’ll have to have a Blue Box dinner
- July 22-27, Chicago, USA IETF 69
- Aug 20-23, San Francisco, CA, USA VoiceCon SF 2007
- Sept 10-12, Los Angeles, CA, USA ITEXPO West 2007
- Oct 29-Nov 1, Boston, USA, Fall 2007 VON
- 33:25 - comment (email) from Aswath Rao
- 35:25 - comment (email) from Craig Bowser
- 35:47 - comment (blog) from Amit about VoIP SEAL PDF files
- 36:33 - Review of the last week's traffic on the VOIPSEC public mailing list
- 37:02 - Wrap-up of the show
- 38:14 - End of show
Comments, suggestions and feedback are welcome either as replies to this post or via e-mail to email@example.com. Audio comments sent as attached MP3 files are definitely welcome and will be played in future shows. You may also call the listener comment line at either +1-206-350-2583 or via SIP to 'firstname.lastname@example.org' to leave a comment there.
Thank you for listening and please do let us know what you think of the show.